How Can Residents Prevent Bathroom Water Damage?
Jamestown Homeowners Do Not Want to Deal with Potentially Costly Water Damage
The bathroom is often one of the most challenging rooms to keep clean in your Jamestown home – especially if you have children! The floors can get slippery, and it is all too easy to splash water around.
Water damage to Jamestown bathrooms can be costly and inconvenient. Imagine the hassle if you need to replace the bath or sink, for example. It is far better to prevent water damage if you can.
What are the risks of water damage in the bathroom?
If left untreated, water damage can cause:
- Warping or staining of the floor coverings
- Mold growth in damp areas, which can then spread to the rest of your home
- Swelling or bubbling drywall
- Peeling wallpaper
- Damaged seals around the tub or sink
How can I prevent water damage?
There are several tasks you can perform to prevent water damage. SERVPRO recommends:
- Mop up all spills immediately, including wet footprints on the floor and splashes from enthusiastic children
- Keep seals intact – repair or replace cracked tiles and degraded grout as soon as you notice them
- Only flush toilet paper in the toilet, as other items can cause blockages that lead to water damage
- Use bathmats and shower curtains to help protect against spills and splashes, and replace them when they look worn
- Use the exhaust fan when showering or taking a bath, and use a dehumidifier to keep your bathroom drier
SERVPRO suggests carrying out regular examinations of all fittings and fixtures to check for pooling or dripping water. You might also consider replacing older fixtures if they are showing signs of wear and tear. Newer toilets and faucets are more water-efficient too.
What are some water damage signs?
Watch for the following signs:
- Water stains on the walls or ceiling
- Mold colonies growing anywhere in the bathroom
- Peeling wallpaper, bubbling drywall, or soft areas on the walls (run your hands over the walls to check)
- Toilets running or failing to fill correctly
- A damp odor
If you see signs of water damage, call SERVPRO of Jamestown / Olean immediately. We are available 24 hours, and we are Faster To Any Size Disaster. It is better to contact us sooner rather than later to prevent further damage.
How does SERVPRO detect water damage?
We train our technicians to the Institute of Inspection, Restoration, and Cleaning Certification standards, which means they are experts in water damage remediation theory and practice.
Our visit begins with assessing the water damage in your bathroom, which does not mean just looking at the damage. Our teams use a range of equipment to measure moisture levels in your bathroom. For example, we use both penetrating and non-penetrating moisture meters to test the moisture level of materials, and we use thermo-hygrometers to measure humidity levels in the air.
We use infrared imaging to look inside walls and behind baseboards, letting us track moisture movement throughout the structure and assess how deep the damage goes.
Why is moisture testing necessary in the bathroom?
Visual information alone does not give reliable data. Moisture testing tells us the precise situation and shows us potential hidden sources of moisture. Having exact data to hand means we can draw up the best drying plan for the case and deal with hidden damp areas. Because we can be more thorough, we can better prevent further damage and lower the risk of fungal growth.
What happens next?
We will tell you about our drying plan and ensure you are happy with it. If there is already fungal growth due to water damage, we will set up containment around the bathroom to prevent spores from escaping.
The first step is to mop up any standing water and deal with any sanitation issues (for example, if the toilet is overflowing.) Our team will let you know which items in the bathroom are salvageable and which are not.
Your bathroom may need some structural repairs, such as replacing tiles or grout, or removing and replacing water-damaged drywall or wallpaper. SERVPRO will either carry out repairs or, if necessary, bring in specialist contractors. We supervise contractors to ensure they treat your bathroom with the same care and attention they would like in their own homes.
Drying is an essential part of water damage remediation. We can bring in dehumidifiers, air movers, and fans to reduce moisture levels in the air and help dry your bathroom more swiftly.
Before we leave, we will deodorize your bathroom so that it smells clean and fresh.
For help with water damage in your bathroom, call SERVPRO of Jamestown / Olean at (716) 338-4901.